Director of the Centre for Post Qualifying Social Work, Bournemouth University
Professor Keith Brown holds professional qualifications in nursing, social work and teaching and academic qualifications in nursing, social work and management.
He has worked in education and training for universities and local authority social work departments for over 25 years and is currently Director of the National Centre for Post Qualifying Social Work at Bournemouth University.
Post Qualifying Social Work education has at its heart the development of programmes whereby professional social workers are able to develop and demonstrate their competence to practice in complex situations. This has involved new ways of developing and delivering educational programmes which assess students’ ability to competently practice with high levels of cognitive thinking. It is this critical reflection of practice and its assessment which has radically advanced social work. Our programmes and publications are intended to re-inspire often busy, tired and stressed professionals to reflect on their own and the profession’s standards and values and to refocus their energies.
Keith provides advice and consultancy to social service departments and employers and through research and academic leadership of the National Centre, work with professional bodies including but not limited to; Skills for Care; Learn to Care and the Social Work Task Force, to advance the professional field.
As editor of the Post Qualifying Social Work series of books published by SAGE, Keith aims to offer relevant, accessible academic texts that will support social workers in their academic studies and, more importantly, their practice.
In the News
- Targets and jargon ‘prevent generation of nurses stopping abuse’
- Give every healthcare worker the power to raise concerns of abuse says Professor Keith Brown in the Guardian.
- How to create a more transparent culture in care homes to prevent abuse – Professor Keith Brown for CareHomesUK
- Future Jimmy Saviles can be prevented through training’ – Professor calls for whistleblowing overhaul in care homes and hospitals
- A model for good social care management
- Professor Keith Brown in the Media
- New national centre for training social workers at Bournemouth University (BU) praised by eminent judges and charity executive.
- BU’s Professor Keith Brown announced as speaker at first National MCA/DOLS Conference